Monday, January 29, 2007

Week 6, #13, 14, and 15

Exercise #13 is about tagging and social bookmarking, mainly via a website called del.icio.us. This site reminded me of the RSS feeds we discovered during a previous week. Although this site isn't for continuous updates, the social bookmarking website allows people to save bookmarked pages, as they would on their personal computers at home, onto a del.icio.us homepage and access them from any computer in any location simply by logging on to the site. When I visited the SJLibraryLearning bookmarking site, I was able to see the resources used and the number of people that also subscribed to the site. One of the options allows you to see the other tags used by people to search for the particular website. The link I explored was infoisland.org. I saw that the link was saved by 113 other people and had common tags such as blog, community, library2.0, secondlife, sl, social, web2.0, etc. I think this tool can be useful for students that have to do research projects or papers. They can use the websites that they found most useful from anywhere, whether it be at home, at school, or at the library.

Exercise #14 had us explore Technorati. This site allows for searches in blogs and in the blogging community. When I searched Learning 2.0 in the search engine on the site, each of the three categories presented me with different results. When I looked through the popular blogs, searches, and tags, I saw that many people tagged popular sites that I also visited. I found one video that I thought was interesting. It was a youtube.com video about a rare, prehistoric shark called the frilled shark that was caught off the coast of Japan. According to Technorati, a lot of people use and tag youtube. Tagging and bookmarking, along with the RSS feeds, can be very useful tools. They allow for more efficient and quicker researching and updating.

Exercise #15 asks us to reflect on Library 2.0 and what it means to us. In a perspective written by Rick Anderson, he talks about how libraries today are trying to create stronger bonds between library patrons and librarians. This would minimize the unneccessary time currently spent by patrons and librarians dealing with programs and search engines that neither understands. With a stronger relationship, patrons and librarians can work together, learning and efficiently researching to find what they are looking for. To me, Library 2.0 is a constant learning experience.

No comments: