Monday, January 22, 2007

Week 4, Item #8 and 9

This week, I discovered RSS feeds. RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. At first, I honestly didn't know what this was. I had never heard of it before. After reading the discovery resources and going through the tutorials, I realized that the RSS feeds are sorta like podcasts. I learned about podcasts from my aunt a few months ago because she works at Apple computers and owns like a million iPods (no, not really. I'm exaggerating). One of the popular RSS sites is called Bloglines. It's mainly used for keeping updated about blogs. The website regularly updates you on certain blogs and news feeds that you subscribe to. The updates come to you on your Bloglines homepage as the site acquires new posts or news. The tsstutorial describes it as "Feed readers grab information from feeds as it becomes available." I think that this can simplify everyday life because the syndication allows for regular updates on blogs, email, and news feeds all on one website. It takes away the hassle of going to several different websites.

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

Great blog entries. RSS is much like something called "push technology" from years ago in which new content was pushed at you, you know, like a ticker tape. Anyway, if you would like a flash drive, you need to also do the other exercises for Week 3 (#2, #3, etc).